Monday 18 August 2014

Blackberry Swirl Fairy Cakes/Cupcakes


All the fruit in my garden this year has been early.

Soft fruit from my garden - June & July 2014

The plums, even though we don't get that many, were ready three quarters of the way through July and I was lucky that I beat the birds (and wasps) to most of them!




We have a Victoria Plum tree and a Oullins Golden Gage tree. They are about 5-6 years old. The Victoria plum has fruited the last couple of years but only on the lower branches. The Oullins really struggles. We had about 5 fruit on it last year, this year only 1! I checked it everyday once the Victoria plums were ready worried either the birds would get it or it would fall off and bruise. Luckily I managed to pick it...and it was delicious!

The blackberries have been early too. I have a very prickly variety that aren't very big and very sour this year.  It has been very painful picking them especially with the strong winds we have been having. Just when I think I have found a way in with my arm without getting pricked a gust would blow the stems around...ouch! I may replace it with a thornless variety.

I freeze some of the blackberries putting them straight into a plastic tub waiting in the freezer. However, my freezer is absolutely stuffed full now so I stewed some with sugar and also added a fallen Bramley Seedling cooking apple to one batch to use as a pie filling. 

I thought I would try adding some stewed berries to a fairy cake mixture. This is how I made them and how they turned out.


Blackberry Swirl Cupcakes



Pre heat oven 140C for 25 mins
Makes approx 12

Cake Mixture :-

6 oz castor sugar
6 oz marg/butter.  I used Flora
6 oz self raising flour
3 large eggs
Tablespoon milk

Stewed Blackberries  :-

8 oz  Blackberries
2oz Light Soft Brown Sugar
Tsp water

 

Cook the blackberries on low heat with the soft brown sugar & water stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Then turn up the heat slightly to simmer until blackberries have softened and liquid thickens sightly. The liquid will thicken more as it cools.


 Put cake ingredients in bowl except milk.


Mix together with electric mixer until combined and glossy. Mix in tablespoon milk.


Spoon into cupcakes cases.  




Add teaspoon blackberry syrup mix & swirl through cake mixture.



Bake for approx  for approx 25 mins until golden & springy to touch. Leave to cool.


Suggestions for serving - dust with icing sugar/whipped cream/creme fraiche  or pipe vanilla butter icing on top. 



Zx

NB I am not a professional cook. This recipe has been devised by adding my own tweak on a traditional recipe using my oven. Temperatures/times may have to be altered to suit yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment